Sometimes a small adjustment to our camera lens can tremendously improve the quality of the photograph that we are taking. So it is with our outlook on life. When we see things through our human eyes, our unredeemed lens may distort reality. This results in things looking much different to us than they do to God.
3 Simple Prayers That Can Change Your Life
1. Lord, please align my will with yours. If you pray the Lord’s prayer, found in Matthew 6, then you pray “your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:10) This prayer matter is so important that when Jesus was asked how we should pray, he included it in the model prayer that He gave us.
We take this prayer a step further when we personalize it by asking that our wills be lined up with His will. When our desires align with His, then we see our desires fulfilled and our disappointments diminish. There is also safety in God’s will. Psalm 13:80 says, “As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.”
When you are aligned with the will of God, you have every reason to remain steadfast in faith that your hopes will be realized.
2. Help me to see people through your eyes. When we look at people through earthly eyes, we only see a small part of what God sees. He sees where they have been and where they are headed, their wounds and their purposes. When we ask for His perspective on people, we are filled with His love and compassion.
Samuel 1:16-17 explains, “But the LORD said to Samuel, ‘Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.’” When we ask to have God’s eyes for people, He will help us to more clearly see their hearts.
I Peter 3:8 tells us, “Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.” This is how we will be if we see people like God does. These traits result in peaceful and uplifting fellowship.
With God’s perspective, we will see ourselves as part of a bigger family, working together for a common cause: His Kingdom. We will understand that God is concerned about all of us, and we will be less me-centered. We will know that we are all in this together. Our Heavenly Father wants us to encourage one another and He blesses our “loving our neighbor as ourselves.” (See Mark 12:31)
We will know that we are all in this together.
3. Increase my wisdom, discernment and revelation. The reality is that some of the things that upset us and shake our world are the results of misunderstanding. James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” We are encouraged by James to pray this prayer! It’s a promise that some of us could call upon with more frequency!
Similarly, in Psalm 119:66, David asks God, “Teach me good discernment and knowledge, For I believe in Your commandments.” David understands the value of discernment (and knowledge) and that they come from God. A discerning person avoids all sorts of trouble, and keeps Godly company because they are much more equipped to avoid deception.
The third thing we should pray for is more revelation from God. God reveals Himself to us in many ways. When we pray for revelation, we pray to hear and see Him better. In John 14:26, Jesus says, “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” When we pray for revelation, we ask the Holy Spirit to teach us and to remind us of His Word when it is needed in our lives.
When we pray for revelation, we pray to hear and see Him better.
Isaiah 26:3 explains, “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” We become more rooted to His purposes and are unshakable and steadfast because we are aligned with what’s important to Him. May these prayers change your life profoundly as you submit to the Holy Spirit, and you see life more and more though His lenses!
3 Simple Prayers To Change Your Perspective
In Jesus' Name,
- Dear Lord,
- Please align my will with yours.
- Please help me to see people through your eyes.
- Please increase my wisdom, discernment and revelation.